Tuesday, August 26, 2014

#NoFilter Show in Austin

Last week, I traveled to Austin on a Tuesday to see a show. I am a HUGE fan of Hannah Hart, Grace Helbig and Mamrie Hart. They are amazingly talented women who have YouTube channels and book deals and a sketch show that went on tour. Unfortunately, they did not travel to Dallas so I had to travel to Austin. That's dedication. It was worth it. It was surreal seeing these ladies in person when I'm so used to staring into their eyes via my computer screen. Below is the opening number from their Boston show because I could not find a posting of the opening from Austin.


Hannah and Mamrie have some pipes on them. Grace nailed the rap in the middle of song which was awesome. I can not flow. Not even a little bit. I am easily tripped up on speaking. Hah.

Here are three things that could have been better:

  1. Audio and video queues could have been smoother.
  2. Chester isn't so great at the improv but he is GREAT at singing songs.
  3. One audience participant was clearly super wasted and/or high.
And here are the things that I was delighted to watch:
  1. Parody song of "Bang, Bang."
  2. Truth or Dare on Stage
  3. Live YDAD
  4. Mamrie's ability to quickly fill in gaps with riffs. Her improv background is paying off in these shows because it lets people see her wit and her ability to observe and immediately react.
  5. All three ladies working together when they're such good friends. The level of respect you have to have of your friends in order to trust them to perform a live show at your side has to be huge. 
Overall, I give the Austin No Filter Show 4.5 Grace Faces. Just kidding. I thoroughly enjoyed it and am really glad I made the effort to go. I wish I had the opportunity to meet each girl in person and hug them and let them know how much I admire their creativity and work ethic. It is inspiring. I laugh and laugh with them while watching their channels. I have an on-going work in progress playlist of my favorite videos. If you have time to get stuck in a k-hole of YouTube vids, I recommend starting with the playlist and then branching out on your own!



No comments: