Wednesday, August 06, 2014

Giving Friends Advice

Friends Forevah on We Heart It.


Apparently, I'm a person who gives people advice. Whether those people are people I love or just acquaintances, I'm am often sought out in order to listen and then report back on my findings.

What does it mean to give advice to someone?

Does advice come from personal experience or something you read or from being able to read the person and tell them exactly what they want/need to hear?

I'm guilty of all three. Or I've used all three. I prefer to listen. When someone approaches me, I gladly sit back and listen to everything they have to say. I internalize. I analyze. And depending on the person, I speak.

Whether I'm educated or not, I will tell you something or give you a link to an article I read or a YouTube video I watched or tell you someone you also know that has personally struggled with similar issues. Resourcefulness is one of my strengths. Like a sponge, I soak up as much knowledge and then I spew it out at an appropriate moment, hopefully.

Recently, my friends have either intentionally or not, sought out my listening ears for some advice. I hope that I have delivered helpful, inspiring words. I'm constantly in need for comfort and affirmation, I totally understand the need to have someone empathize with you on a situation or a relationship or a career choice or parents, etc. Often, I don't feel qualified for giving advice because I feel like my life if not where I wanted it to be 10 years ago. Is your life where you wanted it to be 10 years ago? I guess I should be comforted by the fact that life happens regardless of my plans and I am thankful for people that can guide me along the way. I guess I'll keep trying to help where I can but don't hold it against me.

I'm still trying to figure all of this crap out.

So are Grace & Mamrie... from two years ago...



xoxo,
Liz

No comments: