Monday, July 14, 2014

Karaoke & Shellfish & Running

:a weekend in review:

This past weekend a tradition of sorts took place with the interns from work and Family Karaoke. My coworkers love a good ole sing-a-long at this dive of a karaoke place in Korea Town.  I am nearly 10 years older than our interns now as a group. It’s interesting to see what songs are still relevant to those kids and what songs go completely over their heads. For instance, one of my peers put in “Pretty Fly for a White Guy” which was super popular as we were coming of age. I think it was lost on the interns as a collective. But, “Wonderwall” was a hit. Everyone knows that song and loves to sing it when consuming alcohol. It just makes sense. I think all singing together in a group and letting you be vulnerable in that way is kinda nice. It is especially nice when you work with the people and rarely see them let loose.

No one was this bad, but this video is classic and hilarious.

On Saturday, the crew ventured out to a new restaurant in search of shellfish. For Ben’s birthday, a group of us went to The Boiling Crab and ate as many crab legs as we could shell. There was also shrimp and corn on the cob and potatoes and bibs. You don’t want to make a mess on your clothes while you’re going to town on all that yumminess. This particular restaurant is very popular and line forms before it opens for lunch. We got there early and posted up. As a special treat, a couple of people brought Steel City Pops popsicles so we could have dessert first. This was my first time trying the popsicles and while I see the allure, I’m not a huge fan of dairy in my popsicles. I had the Buttermilk flavor which tasted like cheesecake but I much prefer fruity flavors so I will have to try one of those the next time. I hear the Blood Orange is really good and I would probably really like the Watermelon. All in all, lunch was fun and I recommend the experience to anyone who enjoys working for their food!

Steel City Pops Menu

The Boiling Crab

Ben’s birthday celebration continued Saturday evening and I put together this ensemble for a night in Uptown Dallas. We bar hopped and made sure the birthday boy had an excellent time!



And then somehow by the grace of God, I got up Sunday morning and walk / jogged a 15k with my bestie. The annual Too Hot to Handle Race goes along White Rock Lake and it is a popular race. Almost 1,100 people ran the 15k in the 100 degree heat on Sunday morning. We wove along the lake and avoided being clipped by cyclists. It was not my best performance but I am still proud that I was able to run after not really training for a few months. Running and I have a love-hate relationship that stems from my knees not always cooperating. My legs took a beating while I played competitive soccer in my youth and they just cannot keep up with me sometimes.

How was your weekend? I hope the summer isn’t going by too quickly for ya. Now, off to look at #mcm posts…

xoxo,

Liz

No comments: