Tuesday, September 09, 2014

New Orleans, My New Favorite

Even though I was only in town for three nights in the past two weeks, I jumped on board with a quick weekend trip to New Orleans with my best friends. We went because Georgia Tech played Tulane in the Green Wave's new stadium. Historically, Tulane is not the "football school" like LSU and the students have not participated in tailgates and hosting other schools for football games. Georgia Tech, I learned this past weekend, is a school that travels well to out-of-town games. New Orleans was overrun with Yellow Jackets which was quite exciting for us!

Because we Dallasites had a later than preferred start to our journey, Bourbon Street had to wait for us to go out around 1:30 in the AM. And we did indeed go out. You can't drive all eight hours to Nola and not go out for at least a night cap. The late night experience was also humbling because everyone else on Bourbon Street was, well, three sheets to the wind. #scandalous 


Our little group kept it calm and reserved. We had iced Irish coffees at Molly's. 


Saturday was greeted with tired eyes and sore bodies but also excitement for college football and yummy food! Chris and Rik took is ladies to Mother's for meat. So. Much. Meat. And a Bloody Mary. 


After lunch, we jumped in a streetcar to take us to Tulane for the game. Our friend Daniel is an alumnus and got tickets for those that wanted to go to the game. We made it to campus early enough to tailgate and watch college kids be college kids. 



While the game was going on, I hung out with one of Daniel's friends who I am going to say is a free-spirited, hippie of New Orleans. She is super sweet and we had a lot of philosophical discussion. Not my personal forte but I tried. I met some of her friends which just confirmed my first impression. 


And yes, I decided the best way to capture my time in Nola was by taking selfies with drinks. I'm not sure why. Maybe I just wanted you to know I was having a fantastic (not at all sober) time.

I was rescued by my friends after the game. We showered and napped and Melissa encouraged me to get clothes on so we could go eat oysters!




It's my birthday this Thursday so they pinned money to me. Tradition in Nola is for people to pin a dollar to the birthday person and the money is sign so people wish you happy birthday. It was really nice. I felt special. 


Because oysters aren't super filling, we had to get late night yums yums. 



Dat Dog is amazing. Eat there. After eating, we power walked down Bourbon back the hotel because we had accomplished greatness. I wore my new booties which are incredibly comfortable and if you're looking for that type of thing, you should invest in these. I typically don't wear heels but these were like pillows on the bottom of my feets. 

On Sunday we at brunch at Jimmy J's which is a super cute, super tiny cafe. But look at the fooooooood!



Yum! 

And now, I can't travel any more this year. I'm spent. But we all know that's a lie. I'll probably go somewhere next week. 

Laissez le Bon temp rouler!

xoxo,
Liz













No comments: