Thursday, July 10, 2014

Thinking Things on Thursdays

Because I am currently in a "slow time" at work, I have been catching up on blogs. Blogs like my own and of course, blogs / magazines like The Everygirl. I stumbled upon this article and figured it would be nice to analyze my own friendships. It was easy for me to drop each of my girlfriends in to the category and it also made me think about what role I fill for them. For the full description of the role, please look at the before mentioned article because I don't want to plagiarize. :)

Photo: Found on Tumblr, Seemed fitting for summer


The Hustler
I like to think that Megan is my hustler. She has goals and talks the talk and seems to know things before they actually occur. This woman is encouraging while being fierce in her own career. I believe her when ever she speaks and I'm always honored when she asks my opinion on things. I appreciate her continued support and know that she will accomplish grand things in the future, if she hasn't already.

The No BS-er
Melissa lets me know what is up. She has lived life and she will not put up with any crap I spit out. I love it. I know that I can rely upon her to react. Hopefully, it's a good reaction but either way, I know instantly if I did a good thing or a crappy thing. Her eyes and her silence let me know when I've crossed a line. I think it takes a really trusting person to let you see them angry. Hopefully, I am this to her but I know I'm more like the social butterfly or perhaps the bad influence in some cases to her.

The Nurturer
No question about this one. Kendall is my nurturer, my cheerleader and often I feel like I can do no wrong. Her empathy is all consuming. I love her for this but I know that I cannot return the favor. My fatal flaw is my ability to look at situations in the most logical sense without thinking emotionally. I've been accused of having resting b*tch face due to this fact. I just like to think my way through things first...

The Bad Influence
Younger lady friends tend to have slightly different agendas than I do when it comes to Friday night or more importantly, Tuesday night. And men. Although I haven't had the opportunity to hang out with them recently, I think my bad influences are Beth and Kelsey. Each has a flair for mischief but has an incredible time while doing it. I envy their spirit and turns out, I'm a bad influence to most of my friends. Why make smart decisions when you can make fun decisions?!?

The Opposite Life Stage-r
She has been married since we graduated college and is planning a family. Shelby is definitely my opposite life stage-r friend. I am single. So. Very. Single. Shelby has the husband, the house, the dog and soon to be, the baby. I appreciate the advice and the patience she has for me and my antics. I have the benefit of learning from her mistakes and also from her ability to plan. There are so many things that I would never have considered without Shelby bringing it up and making me think about it. For example, an adult woman should always negotiate for more money at work and more vacation instead of being complacent. Never settle.

The Social Butterfly
This is Bich Van. She never says no to an activity where there are people to meet or just people to hang out. The woman double books herself all of the time. She has the most loyal friends, too because everyone enjoys being around her. I always check her calendar in order to make sure I have not been overlooked for a social activity. Bich keeps me from having a very unhealthy relationship with Netflix and for that I am grateful.

The Historian
Girl, this is my sister. Without question. We are close. There was a rough patch while I was at college "figuring myself out" and she was still in high school having "already figured it out." Other than that, we are up in each other's grill and know everything and participate in everything. She is my rock and my baby sister at the same time. I look to her in order to be reminded about choices made in the past and how I should have already learned that lesson. Grace keeps me grounded and in return, I help de-clutter her closets.

The moral of this post is to seek purpose in the company you keep. There is a reason I want to hang out with all of these women and hopefully, a reason for them to continue hanging out with me. I love each and every one of them. Friends make each day better and sillier and full of dance parties.

Now, let's turn on some Foreigner and sing our hearts out.

xoxo,
Liz

No comments: