Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Work Life Balance

Jennifer Garner made some news this week by bringing up sexism in Hollywood.

This article goes in to detail about the circumstances and such. 

source

Here is the main point: women get asked about balancing work and family while men do not. I think it's really important that the expectation here change. Men are also a part of families. If the question gets asked, it should be to both parties. If we choose to stop asking the question, then that's okay too. 

Work-life balance is important. Work-family balance is also important. Because I do not have children of my own, I focus on the work-life portion. I think it's important to work and then leave work at work. Parts of my life outside of work that I enjoy are exercising on a regular schedule, spending time with friends and watching all of my TV shows.

Y'all know how important those TV shows are to me. They are essentially my children that require 3-4 hours of attention a night. :) Just kidding. That's excessive. 

In my early twenties, I struggled with finding a balance between work and life. I can home from work, I ate, I zombiafied and I went to sleep. Stress and anxiety about work consumed me and prevented me from having a life. I think most people go through something similar (maybe not as dramatic) when you transition from a student to a full-time employee. 

I urge you to make a list of things that you like doing. Make this list holy. Make time for the list. 

xoxo,
Liz

No comments: